Hopefully, this is not the first time you’ve heard of Earthships, but if it is then I’m excited to tell you all about them!
Earthships are radically sustainable homes made out of recycled material. It’s extremely versatile, adaptive to your specific environment, and completely economical. Earthship n. 1. passive solar home made of natural and recycled materials 2. thermal mass construction for temperature stabilization. 3. renewable energy & integrated water systems make the Earthship an off-grid home with little to no utility bills (Earthship.com). This type of biotecture, is a big F-you to our current building practices.
Earthship Biotecture builds homes that:
1. Heat and cool themselves naturally via solar/thermal dynamics
2. Collect their own power from the sun and wind
3. Harvest their own water from rain and snow melt
4. Contain and treat their own sewage on site
5. Produce a self-sustaining amount of food
6. Are constructed using the byproducts of modern society like cans, bottles and tires.
Earthship Biotecture offer internships, training in how to build them, you can rent rooms out nightly, they publish educational books, have plenty of videos on YouTube, conduct seminars, along with providing green consultation. You can discover even more on their website.
These radically different homes are completely self-sustaining, cost almost nothing once it’s built, and can actually improve the ground around the home due to the on-site sewage treatment. These homes are absolutely amazing, not to mention beautiful.
To learn more about the concept behind these homes watch below: